Sure, it's fun to learn how to waltz, cha-cha and fox trot on Dancing With the Stars. But for many contestants, it comes at a very painful price.
Pulled muslces, inflamed groins and twisted ankles are just some of the injuries that have landed many celebrity competitors in doctors' offices and even operating rooms. (Hmmm, gotta wonder if DWTS will be covered under our new national health care plan.)
With season 10 kicking off tonight, we decided to take a look back at some of the more severe boo-boos and bang-ups. Bruises to egos caused by judge Len Goodman not included...
1. Steve-O: The Jackass alum was forced to see four specialists, a chiropractor and a physical therapist after landing on his mic pack at the end of a flip during rehearsal. This only worsened his already inflamed torn muscles and pinched nerves.
2. Cristián de la Fuente: A samba-gone-wrong detached one of de la Fuente's tendons from its bone. After he was given the boot, the hottie actor went under the knife, leaving his arm in a sling for more than a month.
3. Misty May-Treanor: Once the volleyball champ was down, she was done. A ruptured Achilles led the Olympian to quit midseason and limp away in a cast.
4. Gilles Marini: Our favorite French sex symbol became an instant hit when he showed off his manhood in the frist Sex and the City flick. In an ironic twist of fate, Marini suffered inflammation of his groin during rehearsals before the season premiere. After coming thisclose to winning, Marini also underwent surgery to treat a separated shoulder.
5. Nancy O'Dell and Jewel The former Access Hollywood host and the pop star folk singer never even got the chance to compete. O'Dell twisted her knee and underwent surgery for a torn meniscus, while Jewel suffered fractured tibiae in her legs before the start of season eight. They were forced to the sidelines when they were replaced by Bachelor castoff Melissa Rycroft and E! reality star Holly Madison.
Check out our Dancing With the Stars: Season 10 photo gallery.