Warner Bros. Pictures
Warner Bros. Pictures
It's more than an honor to be nominated: it's an exercise in well-worded effusion. Here's what the ever-gracious nominees had to say about their (mostly) well-deserved accolades:
• Sandra Bullock, Best Actress, The Blind Side (and one day removed from a Razzie nod): "Who would have thought after all these years that I would be experiencing this moment now...I certainly didn't...I'd always assumed that the road to Oscar was planned. I thought people chose projects that were considered 'Oscar-worthy.' No one wanted to make this film. I didn't want to make this film for the better part of the year. Everyone is as blindsided—can I say that?—as I am."
• Gabourey Sidibe, Best Actress, Precious: "As soon as I heard, I jumped up and down and for some reason, I kept screaming, 'I'm gonna get a car, I'm gonna get a car!' I don't know why. I was so excited…I'm not sure they know what they're doing by letting me in that room."
• Colin Firth, Best Actor, A Single Man: "I thought I was managing my expectations, but on hearing the news I discovered new and unfamiliar vocal tones. Perhaps I should do another musical."
• Meryl Streep, Best Actress, Julie & Julia: "I am proud and grateful to stand with these women who have given such a range of beautiful, indelible performances this year!!"
• Penélope Cruz, Best Supporting Actress, Nine: "I am completely surprised and elated. Rob Marshall is not only a genius but an absolute joy to work with. I woke up every morning excited to collaborate with this amazingly talented group of actors. Filming this movie was such a special experience and to be nominated for this role makes me so happy."
• Helen Mirren, Best Actress, The Last Station: "I'm very happy and honored for Christopher, myself and our film. I think Tolstoy himself would have been perplexed by all this, but, Sofya his wife would have been over the moon. So in that spirit, I am too."
• Morgan Freeman, Best Actor, Invictus: "I'd like to thank the Academy for this honor. Congratulations to Matt Damon on his nomination. I'm especially grateful to Clint Eastwood, Invictus producer Lori McCreary, and the entire cast and crew of Invictus. Most importantly, thank you to Nelson Mandela for his encouragement, his blessing and his friendship—without which, this film would not have been possible."
• Anna Kendrick, Best Supporting Actress, Up in the Air: "I feel unbelievable. This is just not one of those things that you ever think is in the realm of possibility to happen to you. I don't come from this world and I feel privileged to be in the room with these people."
• Vera Farmiga, Best Supporting Actress, Up in the Air: "[My mom] was panicking because she was watching E! and it was 33 and 34 after the hour, and they weren't switching over...It's been nice to hold George's and Anna's and Jason's hands through it all. It's been a great trip so far, and it's just nice to have been able to have that acknowledgement as a team. It makes playing quarters at the ceremony much more fun."
• Lee Daniels, Best Director, Precious: "I am stoked. I haven't moved. I'm in bed feeling like a stuffed pig, I'm just so overwhelmed with joy and so full of excitement."
The Oscar hopefuls are ready for their close-up...so we're giving it to them in our gallery of Notable Nominees.