• Share
  • Tweet
  • Share
RIhanna

AP Photo/Chris Pizzello

The Los Angeles Police Department is still trying to plug its leak.

The internal investigation launched last week into who provided TMZ.com with a photo of Rihanna that was taken after she was allegedly assaulted by Chris Brown is still underway, E! News confirmed Tuesday.

"They said they were looking into it vigorously," LAPD spokesman Lt. John Romero said, referring to a statement made by an Internal Affairs commander at a meeting earlier in the day.

Romero was unwilling to divulge further details about investigative procedure.

"We are not talking about the protocols because it will relate to this investigation," he said.

Per protocol, the LAPD has not formally identified Rihanna as the victim of what transpired between her and Brown on the morning of Feb. 8. In announcing the investigation into the photo leak, authorities would only say that the photo appeared to have been taken "during an official domestic violence investigation."

"A violation of this type is considered serious misconduct, with penalties up to and including termination," police said.

Meanwhile, the investigation into Brown's conduct continues, as well. Law-enforcement sources have told E! News that prosecutors are looking for evidence to build a felony case against the R&B star.

After being booked on suspicion of making criminal threats on Feb. 8, Brown made his way to his Virginia hometown to be with his family. Rihanna was treated overnight at Los Angeles' Cedars-Sinai Medical Center and then traveled to her native Barbados.

She left the Caribbean island sometime last week and her current location is unknown.